Nitrile Rubber – What You Need to Know
Table of Contents
What is Nitrile Rubber?
Nitrile rubber nbr, also known as Buna-N or NBR, is a synthetic rubber copolymer of acrylonitrile (ACN) and butadiene.
It has good abrasion, wear resistance, and chemical resistance, making it an ideal material for gaskets, seals, O-rings, and other applications in contact with various chemicals.
Physical and Chemical Properties of Nitrile Butadiene Rubber
Chemical properties vary depending on the type and amount of acrylonitrile and butadiene in the copolymer.
- It has excellent resistance to oils and grease, making it ideal for applications where these fluids are present.
- It is also resistant to many other chemicals, including acids, alkalis, and solvents.
- Nitrile rubber is a durable material that can withstand high temperatures and pressures.
- It has good compression set resistance, meaning it will retain its shape and provide a tight seal even after repeated compressions.
- Nitrile rubber is an affordable and widely available material.
- It is easy to work with, making it a good choice for custom applications.
Nitrile rubber NBR is available in both standard and high-performance grades. Standard Nitrile rubber has good resistance to oils, whereas high-performance nitrile rubber offers better resistance to a wider range of chemicals, including acids and solvents.
It should be noted however, that with the increased usage of Bio-Fuels, many grades of Nitrile are not suitable and either a PVC/Nitrile blend or a flouroelastomer should be used.
There is an interesting article here that goes into greater detail.
How Nitrile Rubber Is Used
NBR is used in a wide variety of applications, including:
- Gaskets and seals
- Vibration-damping mounts
- Carpet underlay
- Electrical insulation
- The automotive industry is the largest consumer of nitrile rubber. It is used in fuel systems, gaskets, seals, and hoses.
- The oil and gas industry also uses Nitrile rubber for a variety of applications, including gaskets, oil seals, O-rings, and packer elements.
- Other industries include; aerospace (aircraft fuel systems), chemical processing, electrical and medical industries (ie, Nitrile gloves).
What is Carboxylated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (XNBR)?
Carboxylated nitrile butadiene rubber (XNBR) is a type of nitrile rubber that has been carboxylated with acetic anhydride. This treatment increases the resistance of nitrile rubber to oils and fuels.
What is Fluorocarbon Rubber (FKM)?
Fluorocarbon rubber (FKM) is a type of rubber material that has been treated with fluorocarbons. This treatment gives the rubber superior resistance to oils, fuels, and chemicals.
What is PVC/Nitrile?
PVC/Nitrile is a blend of polyvinyl chloride and acrylonitrile. When blended together it increases the polymer’s fuel and ozone resistance.
What is Hydrogenated Nitrile Rubber (HNBR)?
Hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber (HNBR) is a type of nitrile rubber material that has been hydrogenated. This treatment increases the resistance of nitrile rubber to heat and oxidation.
Where Can I Buy Nitrile Rubber?
Munsch & Co is a leading supplier of Nitrile gaskets. We offer a wide range of gaskets in both standard and high-performance grades. Our gaskets are made from durable, heat-resistant, and chemical-resistant materials, plus with our moulding capabilities we are able to offer other options, such as coloured Nitrile, FDA/EC1935 compliant and metal detectable grades.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Nitrile water resistant?
Yes, Nitrile is water-resistant.
What is the difference between Nitrile and Neoprene?
Nitrile is a synthetic rubber copolymer of acrylonitrile (ACN) and butadiene. Neoprene is a synthetic rubber copolymer of chloroprene.
What is the difference between NBR and EPDM?
Nitrile butadiene rubber (NBR) is a synthetic rubber copolymer of acrylonitrile (ACN) and butadiene. Ethylene propylene diene rubber (EPDM) is a synthetic rubber copolymer of ethylene and propylene.
Is Nitrile rubber safe?
Yes, Nitrile rubber is safe. It is resistant to a wide range of chemicals, including acids, alkalis, and solvents.
What is NBR fabric?
NBR fabric is a synthetic rubber fabric made from nitrile butadiene rubber (NBR). It is resistant to oils, and chemicals. It is sometimes confused with Nitrile Insertion, which has a layer or layers of fabric or fibreglass which prevents stretching, particularly used for diaphragms.
Is Nitrile rubber durable?
Yes, Nitrile rubber is a durable material that can withstand relatively high temperatures and pressures. It has good compression set resistance, meaning it will retain its shape and provide a tight seal even after repeated compressions.
If you need any help or advice simply give us a call or fill in the enquiry form and one of our technical team will help you out.